Thursday, July 14, 2011

Arabs in Portugal

Before i begin with our topic today,  i would like to start with the story that inspired it.

Story:
I was sitting at lunch time in one of the little Portuguese restaurants by the Embassy (I described them in my last post) with some of my colleagues at work. I cannot mention their names, but that's not important. The more important thing is that our group consisted of a Moroccan, a Tunisian, an Egyptian, and an Emirati (me. haha). We were generally talking about the relatively small percentage of Arabs living in Portugal comparing other parts of Europe. This lead us to exchanging stories about how Arabs act when they find other Arabs in foreign countries.

So, the Egyptian decides to tell his story:

"When my wife arrived here [Portugal] about three months after i arrived, this stranger put her hand on my wife's shoulder and shouted AL SALAM ALAIKUM [May peace be upon you -- the Muslim way of saying: Hello!]. We did not even know this woman, yet she joyfully started calling her husband and the rest of the family to introduce to us. It's like they haven't seen any other Arabs for years and they felt they could immediately communicate with us as 'their own'..."


As we all laughed about the story, the Moroccan also decided to share an interesting one:

" When i started living in Portugal many years ago, i was living in a very small University City. There were literally no Arabs to be found. After a couple of years, i literally started to get depressed [in Arabic: Jaany Ehbaat! -- mostly said in a comedic manner rather than a serious one]. Then one day, i saw this young man wearing a Palestinian 'Ghutra' [scarf] around his neck, and that made me curious. Although he had a very 'European' complexion [he was white...haha] and everybody wears the Ghutra around their necks nowadays as some sort of a fashion statement, I just couldn't help my curiosity and  i slowly walked next to him to listen what he was saying. The moment i overheard him speaking Arabic, i was ecstatic! I immediately went to him and said INTA ARABI [You're Arab!] Al SALAM ALAIKUM Brother!! And until today, after many years, we are very close friends."


-----

If you guys have read my past posts, you would know that i am not very fond of concepts such as patriotism or community...or anything of the sort. And to be very honest, i never felt a 'connection' to Arabs in general because i always focused on individuality. At some point, i believed in working on the self rather than the community, in contrast to most Arab mentalities where community /family is crucial. Keep in mind that i am not saying this is a good thing or a bad thing, i'm just saying that i never felt like that while living in the UAE. I don't like the idea or 'instant brotherhood'.

However, while i sat with my Arab colleagues, eating Portuguese food in a Portuguese restaurant, amongst Portuguese people (you can also substitute the word Portuguese with 'foreign' in the last sentence if u want to further understand this post), i couldn't help but feel at home.

It is very interesting to me how Arabs ....function.
For instance, even if we look at aspects that are literally ruining the MENA Region's economy, such as wasta (translated into English as Favoritism, Nepotism, or Cronyism), we still do it because of this invisible 'bond' we have. An example of this is employing someone "he is my cousin". For us, the bigger the wasta, the more connections you have...and the better opportunities u get. To us, the more wasta, the 'cooler' you are. To us, wasta, is not cronyism, as it is in most of the 'West', it's just helping a brotha out. Of course, i am not saying that this does not happen in western countries, but at least to Westerners, it's a negative thing...and its not something they show off. It's what you call...ehm...illegal.

This also reminds me of a story my economics professor once told in class -- but i can't really remember where he was in the story:


" i went into a cab once in 'country X' and the cab driver was an Arab. So, when he dropped me to the spot, i wanted to pay him but he did not allow me. He told me that 'his brother' does not have to pay for anything".

Anyways, going back to my subject, the one thing i learned today is that this 'invisible bond' between Arabs does not have anything to do with culture or religion... or wait...maybe its A BIT cultural, but not at all religion because some of the Arabs here are Christian...but i think it's mostly because of the language. It's only that one language, in all of its accents, that brings us together into this mysterious brotherhood bubble.

To tell you the truth, i think this phenomenon is pretty unique, as i haven't really seen it anywhere. I have never seen Europeans in Arab countries shouting out "OLA! Esta Portuguese!!" or "Bonjour! Vous estes Francais!!" to a stranger they barely know. Also, the thing here is, EVEN if we assume that Westerners do that, they would only 'connect' with people from their own nationalities -- i.e. Spaniards with Spaniards, French with French, Americans with Americans...and so on.
On the other hand, Arabs connect with Arabs; it doesn't really matter if you come from the Middle East, the Levant, or North Africa. It something like an exclusive club. As long as you speak some sort of Arabic, you're in. Oh by the way, this does not count if you're not born Arab. So, if you just learned how to speak Arabic, sorry...you can't get into our club. haha.

Of course, many people can argue this as the post has been written completely from personal observations, experiences and opinions...i didn't do any research and i'm completely open to arguments, disagreement and discussion. But i just had to write about this because it seemed really interesting from an 'observer's' perspective.
I never actually sat to think about this because i guess it always came naturally, and also because i haven't really 'lived' in a foreign country for a reason other than vacations.

Additionally, I think to some point, if one goes deeper into it, it can also be looked at as an Eastern think in general. South Asians with South Asians, Far Easterners with Far Easterners....etc.
I guess one only notices one's 'own' when one is far away from one's hometown.
So what do you guys think?

3 comments:

  1. Great observation and great way to write as usual. When I was in Europe I found myself in similar situations with the Arabs there, If I was standing aimlessly I would find Egyptian running to ask me if I need anything, or another guide me to direct....etc it's beautiful that bond is great but at the same time there I came to realize there was stronger bond among the Arabs.

    I might write more comments but right now am little bit lazy -_-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. I think that's one of the main things I love about being abroad; spotting other Arabs then doing something about it haha. I loved the story told by your Moroccan colleague. My dad met a man the same way while being Arab-deprived in Maryland & 20 years later, they're still the closest of friends.

    It makes sense why people would feel a connection with others who share the same language and a similar culture. But this "connection" can be based on so many different things. Some that I have trouble explaining. Last summer, I was doing my internship in DC and I would take the metro to work and back. Every day for the entire 6 weeks, at least one African American man (never woman) would stop or go out of his way to tell me "asalamz-alaykum sista". And many of them wore crosses so they were clearly not Muslim. When I'd go out with my white colleagues for lunch and this would happen, they'd ask me if I "know this man". I never had an explanation and I still don't. And your post got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry for the late reply.. i actually wrote a reply and submitted but i just discovered that it didn't Post -__-

    anyway i was saying that its a Nice post & it reminds me of some of my friends who always complain about there is a lot of Arabs when they visit X country.. It could be a different subject but yes ppl have different ideas but in the end it's natural things in Arabs we have the concept of we all r brothers and sisters as long as we sharethe same religion and the same language and this is an Islamic concept cultulary we call it (al nakhwa alarabia ) I guess lol

    ReplyDelete