Sunday, February 27, 2011

Patriotism, Religion....and All That Jazz! (Part 1/2)

Ok, so i guess my last posts give u pretty much about 10 % of what's flying around in my mind. Now lets start with the interesting, controversial and pissing off stuff. Warning: many people might hate me after this post. But its all for the best since, the more you hate me, the more ull advertise me, thus i get more readers and we both get what we want, haters and readers.

Patriotism and religion are two phenomena im always thinking about. My views continuously change depending on my daily observations and experiences. It is interesting how my view of patriotism keeps fluctuating (sometimes i love it and sometimes i hate it), but my views on religion keep developing in the same area.
Amoon on Patriotism:

UAE Flag (boo-hoo, tears everywhere)
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ZwQBkt39Eas/SaKpkCHsiAI/
AAAAAAAANN8/mKx1qtxrWDA/DSC_0639.JPG
Patriotism is a complete and utter waste of my (and everyone's) time, its devastating for the economy, and is just a ball of bullshit. I hate it when people say "i love my country" and don't know shit about it, how it works, its history or even who built it. Holding up a flag is NOT patriotism you idiots. Starting a revolution just because it is a trend is NOT patriotism you idiots. Trying to overthrow another sect of your own religion is NOT patriotism you idiots.
We, the people are what ruined patriotism for ourselves.
I remember the times when my heart actually skipped a beat every time my country's name was called out. I remember when tears easily flowed out of my eyes when i saw our flag fluttering proudly high in the sky. That black, red, green and white flag.
Yet now i wonder, did i, or anyone who still feels like that towards his/her country, do any good with our emotional crap? Did we benefit ourselves while going boo-hoo every time we travelled (cuz apparently we 'missed' our home). NO! All we did was waste very valuable time when we should have been building OURSELVES, our personalities, our spirituality, our future..
Im telling you people, singing your national anthem, or holding up your flag is NOT going to do you any good.

(Pissed off yet? wait...the good part is still coming)
Having said all that, and having said that my view on patriotism is quite changing, let me take you to the conclusion i have gotten to.
You do not deserve to be patriotic if you are not being productive. If you are sitting at home, hanging pictures of your rulers, then you might as well kill yourself...you're more beneficial being dead than alive for your country. Patriotism should mean that for every second in your day, you want to give back to your country. You have to find away to compensate for what she has offered you: a home for your family, a place where your children might grow, safety, security.

True she is not perfect. But you know why?...
Because we are being 'patriotic'.
We are sitting at home, eating 'herees' and 'lgaimaat' (arabic foods - very fatting: basically turning us into an obese population), and saying "Long Live Our Rulers".

You know why my view changed?....I used to waste time. Lots and lots of time. That made me hate my country because i had nothing to do with her. But now, i study, i work, i try to stay physically healthy, i started a blog...and i realized that when i hated my country, it was because i didn't deserve to love her in the first place. So until now, my conclusion on patriotism is:
Be patriotic when you think you deserve to be. Don't be patriotic if your flag is the most important thing in your life.

Ok. I guess the last part wasn't as bad. A bit communist, don't you think? haha.

My next post is on religion. So if any of you fat, lazy, and useless (and angry) people want to go on....then you're in for my favorite ride of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment