Thursday, February 24, 2011

Social Food ...sigh





Simply Beautiful, Pure Red Chili. Wake my senses up.
I was just invited to my best friend's house for a very small gathering...maybe 5 girls at most...and i just realized that the way she invites us is by listing a menu to somehow lure us to her 'request'. Unfortunately, it works every time  -_-


Before i start posting my ACTUAL thoughts, let me just explain to you what my food means to me. Obviously, it is a very important feature of literally EVERY outing me and my friends have. I literally cannot think of any outing which did not have any type of consumption; whether it was a glass of hot karak (Indian style tea with milk, very popular in the UAE), or delicious sushi, or scrumptious cupcakes, or quick snacks, or thirst quenching soft drinks, or melted ice cream, or savory pasta, or nutritious sandwiches, or taste-filled seafood, or buttery tarts, or delicious macaroons, or creamy soup, or even...a healthy salad...food has just always been there....and always will be until we eventually end with cardiovascular disease i guess.

Pastries in Thailand
Food to me is more of a social event rather than just food. It has two sides i sinfully enjoy. The first is that it brings me closer to my friends, because we are all food lovers. We eat food, and simultaneously talk about food while we also think about food. After being done with the food we repeat this process for dessert. Food is one thing in life which never lets you down, with thousands of cuisines there to melt away your tongue and slowly do the same to your heart. It is one thing in life that can turn me into a poet, a politician, a comedian or just make me appreciate the fact that most of all...im a human being. Whether its just a piece of bread or a royal feast, it is all the same when it stimulates my taste buds and brings tears to my eyes.


The second side i enjoy is that a plate of food, no matter how simple it is to make, always has a complicated burst of flavors that can knock one unconscious. For example, my personal favorite cuisine is oriental (mostly Thai, to be even more precise). So if i have a plate of Tom Yum Kung soup (a delicious blend of coconut milk and Thai spicy paste containing mushrooms, prawns, lemongrass, ginger and basil) and a normal plate of mixed fried rice....that is all i need to to start and end
 a beautiful day. I close my eyes a savor the soup first, where a blend of extremely numbing spicy chili and a sweet smell of coconut milk confuse my senses and drown me in a divine and spiritual experience.


Hardcore Crab in Thailand.
This was accompanied by so much other seafood that day,
it was UNBELIEVABLE
For me, food is only ONE of the things in life that brings me closer to God. This might be funny to many people, but if one thinks about it...Don't these abilities of taste and smell such wonders show His divine love for us? Or else why would He allow us these pleasures if he did not want us to experience every moment of them? And doesn't everyone have a better time with loved ones (family, old/new friends...etc) when there is good food involved? One may disagree...but hey...these are just my thoughts...and i like my thoughts to be somehow connected to Him..



This is dedicated to my best friend. You know who you are fat woman.

P.S
1) I DO NOT cook. I am only a mere consumer of food.
2) Although i enjoy lots of food and possess an endless appetite, i still go to the gym to balance it out....which i highly recommend for people like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment